[TowerTalk] [ct-user] CT on Vista - any hope of doing this quickly?

Robert West robert.west at eatmoresoap.com
Wed Aug 5 13:08:09 PDT 2009

Back in the day, as we say, most of the early DOS programs were written with
speed and space in mind. For this, they would write directly to the hardware
allowing quicker response to the display and it would take less memory.
Then when we went to Windows 95 lots of these programs would bomb out
because they ran too fast.  Good example is some of the games where the
music and "voice" were like chipmunks.  To handle that, we would set a
compatibility mode or run a DOS emulator.  Same with XP and Vista.  If it
runs okay, then cool!  But if there are issues, try it in Win95 or 98 mode
and if it still messes up, load an emulator.

To change compatibility mode, right click on the executable file, go to
properties then the compatibility tab.  If you need the emulator, DosBox is
a good freebie,  you can find it at dosbox.com.

Bob-
A+ Certified PC Technician