[TowerTalk] HyGain HyTower Questions

Tim Kass timkass at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 5 20:31:41 PDT 2009

Hey all, guess I will throw in my experience with the HyTower for whatever its worth.  I got my Hytower off an old elmer but live in a city lot in Cincinnati, Oh.  Verticals never seemed to do well for me in this area, maybe the poor ground is the biggest issue, anyway, I tried several 1/8 wave ground radials for each band but still did not work as good as a good all dipole for up to around 700 miles, also it was noisy.  The best thing I did was to feed it as a vertical dipole...the stinger (which is isolated from the top of the tower) has a wire running down the middle of the tower section to the base where it is normally fed.  I cut that wire and fed the stinger at that point with one side of 450 ohm ladder line and the tower section with the other side...ran the ladder line down about 10 feet, spaced about 2 feet away from the tower then it jumps to the top of a shed....anyway, it worked best as that configuration in transmit and receive...of course you need a tuner as well...but found it worked on all bands pretty well...also tried elevate radials before that...this still was better...tuned 80 - 10 meters, no stubs.

73, Tim K8WBL