[TowerTalk] Resonance is over rated

Martin Ewing martin.s.ewing at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 09:45:50 PDT 2009

These discussions are useful because they bring out some important
concepts (and mis-concepts) around antennas and tuned circuits.

Another way of thinking about dummy loads:  Any practical two-terminal
device has inductive and capacitive reactance along with resistance.
Whether you call it an inductor, capacitor, or resistor depends on
your operating regime and your point of view.

Mathematically, you can think of an ideal resistor as what you have
(in a parallel tuned circuit) in the limit when XsubL goes to zero and
XsubC goes to infinity at a given frequency.  Q = XsubL / R, goes to
zero in that limit.  The resonant frequency, where XsubL = XsubC, is
undefined.

Yes, that's a perverse view and not very practical, except to show
that short leads and good lead dress make for better dummy loads.
There are many ways to skin a cat.

73 Martin AA6E