[TowerTalk] As long as the antenna gurus are out...

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Sat Aug 8 14:10:36 PDT 2009

Tom:

     If your objectives include operating on Topband, then I suggest you
cozy up to your farmer neighbors and seek their permission to install
temporary Beverage antennas after each harvest.

     Another thing, if you're interested in domestic contesting, you'll need
some antennas that work well close-in, i.e., out to 600 miles or so.  That
usually means dipoles low to the ground (< 1/4 WL) on the Low Bands (160,
80, 40.)    THAT means two support structures, either trees or towers or
tower/tree combination.  OR you could construct Inverted V's out of your
tower's guy wires.  Low Yagis (or the lowest of a stacked set) will be just
as effective close in on the bands above 14 MHz.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F