[TowerTalk] Fiberglass strain insulators

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Tue Aug 11 08:56:45 PDT 2009

Pete,

I know of several hams who have successfully used similar fiberglas strain insulators.

I use the Joslyn J732 insulator clevis, you can find a photo at:

http://www.macleanpower.com/file.asp?F=AF131CF1571E47758E923C47448BB760.pdf&N=Guy.pdf&C=items/pdfs

Or use your favorite search engine to search for: Joslyn J732

Attach the insulator clevis to your tower guy attachment hardware.  You
may need a 5/16 inch or 3/8 inch shackle to do this. Pass the clevis
bolt through your guy wire insulator.  Pass your guy wire (or preform)
through the other hole in the guy wire insulator.

Voila, the tower has only 8 or 10 inches of steel attached to it before
the first insulator, just like an AM broadcast tower installation.

The rated strength of the Joslyn J732 is 20,000 pounds, enough for any
ham tower I've ever seen!

They can also be ordered by your local electrical hardware distributor.

73
Frank
W3LPL