[TowerTalk] RV stationary antennas

k3hx at juno.com k3hx at juno.com
Tue Aug 11 15:29:28 PDT 2009

OOOPS!  sorry for the duplication

OM Ed,

I've been RV camping for 35+ years and offer the following based on my experience.

I'd go with a relay-switched, base loaded telescoping pole clamped to the top of the ladder.  I'd go to great lengths to assure a ground plane and would recommend strips of adhesive-backed stainless steel tape. One for 40m, and one for 20m for a fiberglass roofed RV.
I'd find folding up all the aluminum rods for the AV-640 a pain that would take a long time during "break-camp."

One thing that I've had trouble with is tripping the GCI at the electric outlet caused by induced RF.  I found that putting a few turns of the cord through a BIG toroid core at the electric outlet stopped the trouble.

Be Well,

Tim