[TowerTalk] weatherproof plastic enclosures

Dan Zimmerman N3OX n3ox at n3ox.net
Thu Aug 13 17:10:18 PDT 2009

Re: UV

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 6:42 PM, K1TTT <K1TTT at arrl.net> wrote:

> They are probably like the cheap plastic trash cans I have used as covers,
> year or so and they turn brittle, one touch and they fall apart.

When you install them, rough 'em up a bit with sandpaper, spray on a couple
coats of RustOleum plastic paint and they last well.

This was out in the elements for a little over two years and the plastic
itself is good as new:

http://n3ox.net/projects/sixtyvert/matchingcan_lg.jpg

The *paint* is faded, but not chipped or anything, and suspect it would make
it another year or two at least before the plastic started to break down
even without further maintenance.

Plus, it looks a little less like a trash can (or storage container:
http://n3ox.net/projects/stepperswitch/housing_lg.jpg) when you paint it.
Now I think a good investment in a real enclosure is not a bad idea, but
even then some paint can't hurt if it's plastic.

73
Dan