[TowerTalk] For Chrome Moly and tower/wind load experts out there - Mountain top tower installation

Steve, W3AHL w3ahl at att.net
Mon Aug 17 10:54:26 PDT 2009

There is only about a 2% difference between the two sizes of mast you
listed, with the 2" x 0.25"  being the stronger.   Assuming 87,000 psi yield
strength, they would handle a max of about 3900 ft-lbs of moment.  But make
sure you get your vendor's spec for yield strength -- 4130N can vary quite a
bit.  And it really should be galvanized.

Steve, W3AHL