[TowerTalk] inductance of tubing vs bar or strip

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Aug 18 15:41:21 PDT 2009

john at kk9a.com wrote:
> My tower has had a number of direct lightning strikes and I have never seen
> a soldered connection fail.  I am assuming that Pete is referring to using
> copper water pipe or refrigeration tubing as a ground conductor for his
> shack and I find it hard to believe that a strike would raise the pipe
> temperature to 400 degrees or so and melt the solder from the fittings.

I know the "current wisdom"  has been not to solder although code IIRC
only says that about the  ground rod.
Looking at the required currents, if the current is high enough to melt
solder on the station buss then that will probably be the least of the
problems.  One thing to forget is the raising of the pipe temperature to
melt the solder.  Under some cases you can melt the solder and only warm
the pipe. Remember in this case the solder melts due to IR losses in the
solder, not by conducting heat from the copper.  What is the
"resistivity" of the copper and solder?  what is the ratio?  Silver
solder which is readily available although it too is pricey, melts at  a
temperature only slightly less than copper although it too comes in a
wide range of alloys and melting points.  Soldering small parts to large
copper pipe or tube also takes concentrated heat right at the spot of
soldering and is not nearly as easy as soldering two wires together or
even plumbing where the pipe is roughly the same size on each side of
the joint.

Myself? I prefer a drilled and tapped copper buss bar 1/4" to 1/2" by 2
to 3" if you can find it. For most stations that is only a few feet
long. Yes, it's going to be pricey, but much easier handle  Then the
grounding lead of #2, strap, or what ever runs to the Single Point
Ground (SPG).  BTW drilling and tapping copper for even 1/4-20 or 1/4-28
can be a chore and very difficult for the smaller sizes such as 12-24,
10-24  even when using the proper cutting oil.  I also prefer the
coarser size threads in copper. I'd use 1/4-20 or 28 as you can get 1/4"
"crimp on" connectors that will fit a wide range of wire sizes.

After having said all that, I run the same grounding cable I use from
the tower to the SPG through the bulkhead and into the station where I
use compression clamps to attach the station grounds to that cable.

73

Roger (K8RI)