[TowerTalk] HG52SS base

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Aug 18 15:50:44 PDT 2009

I've used dirt bases at all of my locations since 1961 with nary a
problem. They are usually go about 5' down to the crushed rock .  The
last couple I fabricated out of 3/4" steel rod and 1/8" Steel strap, 2"
wide. I gave it a good two coats of paint and planted it.  Yes it's
heavy but didn't cost much and has proven very effective.

The dirt base only serves two real functions; The first to keep the base
of the tower from moving sideways and the second is to keep it from
sinking into the ground.  Setting it on crushed rock helps here.
However to work well the soil needs to be firm and not acetic.  A hole
in damp sand with a half a foot of crushed rock will support a lot of
weight.  Pea gravel is not as effective.

I do think concrete is better but ROHN even sold dirt bases for many years.

73

Roger (K8RI)