[TowerTalk] inductance of tubing vs bar or strip

Steve, W3AHL w3ahl at att.net
Wed Aug 19 07:27:34 PDT 2009

Jim,

A good approximation is to consider a right angle bend as a 1/4 turn coil
with the same radius of the bend.   But the typical coil inductance
calculators make too many simplifying assumptions to handle this.  AC power
system engineering handbooks are a good source of info on this topic.  I'll
look for a reference next time I'm at the university library.   Seems like
something every savvy ham should know....?

I did a quick measurement with a 4' piece of #6 copper wire.  Adding a 1"
radius 90 degree bend increased the impedance about 5 ohms at 10 MHz, which
would equate to an inductance of about 0.08 uH for the bend.   This was not
a precision test, but gives an order-of-magnitude estimate at least.

My experience with this relates to PCB trace layout modeling and the effect
of sharp corners on trace inductance on fast edge rate signals.  I'm retired
now and don't have access to the EM modeling software we used.

The mechanical stress is only high because of the interaction of the
magnetic fields with surrounding objects.   The interaction of magnetic
fields in a right angle bend of the current-carrying conductor not only
cause high stresses at the bend, but an increase in self-inductance at the
bend also.

Steve, W3AHL