[TowerTalk] inductance of tubing vs bar or strip

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Aug 19 12:53:57 PDT 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:30:53 -0400, Steve, W3AHL wrote:

>The formula and results used in the original stripline over ground
>plane calculator I linked to agree with the three reference books I
>have access to.

Yes, BUT -- a conductor in free space and a conductor over lossy
earth are rather different from stripline (a conductor over over
ground plane, which is assumed to be highly conductive and
lossless). The equation for stripline also assumes that the ground
plane under the conductor is the return for signal current -- that
is, the circuit forms either an inductive loop (low frequencies) or
a transmission line (higher frequencies) with the ground plane.

Remember that lossy earth has both resistance and a dielectric
constant. Changes the problem (and the resulting equations) a bit.
:)

73,

Jim Brown K9YC