[TowerTalk] Tapping or cutting copper

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Wed Aug 19 16:16:43 PDT 2009

On 8/19/2009 Roger (K8RI) wrote:

...snip...
> There is a tool holder (for small taps - 1/4" and under) with a flared
> base that includes a tap handle for making sure the tap is perpendicular
> to the work. I've forgotten the name. Have used them many times. IIRC
> lard works much better than the normally used taping fluids when it
> comes to Copper.

...snip...

There are a bunch of different tap starters out there - I use a home made one that I made on the mill one day

One of the slickest I've seen is a small disk about 3/4" thick, with a V groove in the bottom.  Centered in the V is a 1/2" or so hole.  It then has a bunch of inserts to fit the smaller tap sizes.

BTW, for the lurkers - taps from #4 and down all have the same "body" size

(Metalworking is one of my hobbies - I've got a lathe and mill in the basement, and I hope to be buying a new better lathe about 8 weeks from now (want to get an HLVH or better a CNC toolroom lathe))

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

"It is in vain, Sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace! -- but there is no peace.
 The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the North will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms!
 Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle?
 What is it that Gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet,
 as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
 Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
-- Patrick Henry, March, 1775