[TowerTalk] how much redux

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Aug 20 12:20:53 PDT 2009

In my opinion, you really need to rethink what you have planned.  Just
because nobody is going to get killed climbing the tower doesn't mean it
isn't going to cause property damage or physical harm when it falls
over.  Imagine the leverage that 40 feet of tower has on 18 inches of
concrete base (the radius) ... it's huge.  Plus, your elevator is going
to add even more wind loading than would be the case just with the quad
and rotor, and you're already exceeding the manufacturer's specs.

Which brings up another point.  If someone does get hurt as the result
of an installation that you know up front doesn't meet spec (and
therefore code), it seems to me that at the very least you have an
indefensible position in a legal proceeding.

Lastly, if you don't include the guys up front, how are you going to
determine whether or not they are necessary later?  Once the tower
starts to tilt in a strong wind it isn't going to pause while you add
the guys.

73,
Dave   AB7E