[TowerTalk] Fw: stacked yagis

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Mon Aug 24 17:42:41 PDT 2009

Steve:

     I've had a Skyhawk up on my tower since 2001 and like it a lot.  It was
the first Yagi I've had in 40 years as a Ham so I have nothing to compare it
to, but it does break pileups with 100 W.  (A lame reason, I know, but it is
a fact.)

    I chose the Skyhawk based in part on the test results from Steve and
Ward's book that showed it compared favorably against some of the more
popular and well-known models.  But what made the sale for me was the fact
that the specs said it would cover all of 20 and 15 and the bottom 1 MHz of
10 with low SWR without having to decide where I wanted to operate in each
band.  After I got the antenna up on the tower I measured the SWR and it met
advertised specs.  There is nothing to adjust: just build it according to
the instructions and it'll play.

     It was actually fun to assemble.  I'd never used a pop river tool
before so it gave me an excuse to go buy one.  There were no misdrilled
holes or missing hardware, although the manual (actually, the instruction
sheet) was wrong on some dimensions.  A call to Bencher had the corrected
dimensions in my hands in one day.

BOTTOM LINE:  I'd buy another Skyhawk if I had the need to stack a pair of
'em.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F