[TowerTalk] Folded dipole

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Aug 25 08:10:15 PDT 2009

> The folded dipole *might* get the impedance to a better value
> for the tuner.  To a first order, a folded dipole has 4x the
> feedpoint impedance of the straight dipole.

But only on a single band (or at best 80/30, 40/15 meters).
Unlike the "normal" dipole/doublet the folded dipole presents
a zero Ohm (very low impedance) load to the feedline at all
2n harmonics.

As long as one is looking for strictly a single band antenna,
a wide spaced folded dipole has some interesting advantages
but multiple band use with a tuner is not one of them.  Note,
I am not talking about the inefficient T2FD (loaded folded
dipole) designs.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV