[TowerTalk] Shielding of antenna switching/interstation interference

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Aug 26 05:38:57 PDT 2009

I am trying to track down a source of inter-station interference between
my two radios when using them for SO2R contest operation.

My SO2R antenna switching system is located at the tower base.  Two
TopTen 6-way relay boxes are mounted on an aluminum plate, as well as 6
minibox-enclosed A/B relays.  The plate is grounded to my tower ground
by a short, direct #2 copper wire.

The TopTen boxes are bolted to the plate.  The Miniboxes are mounted to
it with a pair of metal tapping screws each.

I did not use Noalox between any of these enclosures during
construction.  My question -- can I rely on the bolts and metal tapping
screws to make a good connection between the shielding boxes and the
aluminum plate?  In terms of RF shielding, how important is it to have
the shield boxes well connected to a common ground?  Would it likely be
worthwhile to disassemble everything and apply Noalox?  Alternatively,
should I figure out how to run some sort of dedicated grounding
conductor among the boxes and down to the tower ground?

TIA

--
73, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com