[TowerTalk] EHS vs Phillystran

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Aug 31 09:52:05 PDT 2009

In a message dated 8/31/2009 9:29:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I'm re-working my tower, and was wondering if there is any  RF benefit to
replacing the top guys with Phillystran. The current guys are  1/4" EHS.
The antennas are a 4el SteppIR mounted at the tower top, and a  6M7JVV 8'
over that.

>  The tower top is a Rohn flat top  with guy 'ears' right at the top. It's
replacing a tapered top  section.

            There  may be some benefit with just antennas at the top of the
tower but where the  Phillystran really becomes valuable is when the tower
is populated with antennas  below the top; e.g. lower yagi stacks or wire
antennas attached to the  tower. Then the antennas don't see the guys and you
don't have destructive  interaction.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH