[TowerTalk] Raising Universal Tower, WAS Re: Winch for LM70 - Tiltover ..??

n8de at thepoint.net n8de at thepoint.net
Fri Dec 4 16:20:22 PST 2009

My advice, based upon raising 5 Universal towers of 60+ feet using the
'falling derrick' method:

1.  Put the derrick AT the tower base and attach to the tower at or
above the 30' mark. (I use a 40' attachment)
2.  When the tower is sufficiently raised to the point where the
rope/cable lifts from the derrick, stop and remove the derrick.
3.  Continue pulling the tower to the raised position and stop JUST
BEFORE vertical alignment.
4.  There will be tension on the lifting rope/cable sufficient to hold
the tower while you insert the missing base bolts at this time.
5.  After inserting ALL the remaining base bolts, detach the
rope/cable from the tower.  (At this point, you may have to climb to
the attchment point.  I do NOT as I use sufficient rope to make a loop
from the pulling vehicle to the tower and BACK.

Good luck
Don
N8DE