[TowerTalk] dipole configuration

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wesattaway at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 4 18:23:49 PST 2009

Jim Brown correctly points out that a modest vertical with a loading coil or
possibly a capacitance hat would be preferable for DX.  However, looking at
the two possibilities you are considering, if you want to have a shot at DX
you need to use your second option with a short vertical wire.

I did a quick model of a 30-ft vertical wire with a 130-ft horizontal wire
and it does appear that the configuration would be somewhat better than a
dipole for DX.  You would need a loading coil to achieve resonance.

If this is all you can do then you need to do it.  In my opinion, the worst
thing you could do would be to get talked out of doing anything.  Put up
what you can and learn some "stuff" by adjusting the coil, adding ground
radials, and getting on 160 and making some QSOs.

Once you do this you will have some fun and more ideas will percolate.

1138 Waters Edge Circle - Shreveport, LA 71106
    318-797-4972 (office) - 318-393-3289 (cell)
        Computer Consulting and Forensics