[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 sidemount

Wa3a at aol.com Wa3a at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 05:23:41 PST 2009

I am in the planning stages of my first tower.  I am looking for some
opinions on side-mounting a 24' boom 8.5 sq ft tribander (rotatable) on a Rohn
25 tower.  Assuming that the tower windload is not exceeded (if all the
load was at the top- which its not) does the rotating sidemount put  too much
stress on Rohn 25?  I'm planning a 70' tower with guys at  35/70.  I'm
planning on tribanders at 72/40.  I live in a  70mph zone.  What brand of rotating
sidemounts are you  using?  I havent considered ring rotors yet since they
seem to be more  problematic but they would seem to put less (or more evenly
distributed) force  on the tower legs. I dont see much available for Rohn
25 which may be the  answer to my question on tower stress.  The only side
mount I see  for 25 is from W9IIX which bolts to one leg.  Intuitively, this
seems like  too much twisting stress.  What do you think?
Thanks!  Steve WA3A