[TowerTalk] Resistance of RG-8 cable?

gdaught6 at stanford.edu gdaught6 at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 10 13:03:10 PST 2009

K1TTT wrote...

> I think a better test is a return loss test at 10m, leave the
> far end either open or shorted and measure the reflected power or swr, the
> higher it is the better the cable.

Or, put a good dummy load at the far end, and measure the RF power out of the
exciter into the cable.  Now, without changing RF level, move the power meter down
to the dummy load end and measure the power being delivered to the dummy load.
Now you've measured the actual loss in the cable.  Compare it with the
manufacturer's specified value, and you know if it has degraded.  If the resulting loss
is something you want to live with, keep using the cable!

Remember, the loss of brand-new, high-quality cable IS NOT zero!

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 2-3, 2010