[TowerTalk] Log Periodic Beam Performance

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Sun Dec 13 17:49:39 PST 2009

Back in the mid '90s I assembled a Tennadyne
(http://www.tennadyne.com/) log for NJ5S SK in Enid, OK (I forget the
exact model).  I spent the Saturday afternoon of the CQ WW SSB contest
of '95 building it.  We put it up prior to the SSB Sweepstakes that
year and worked our first sweep as a multi-op.

As I recall, it was a very solid antenna that seemed unaffected by the
Oklahoma winds although it later became a favorite roost of a group of
buzzards.  Performance on the air was very good as I recall.  One trick
Dick was told was to run hardline up the tower to it so he fed it with
1/2" hardline.  No question the thing worked as stations off to the
side simply vanished.  It was also a very graceful antenna atop the
tower.

Besides the continous frequency coverage, one never has to worry about
failed traps.  The dual boom lends itself to an amazingly strong
antenna.  It's construction is straightforward and lends itself to long
life with minimal maintenance.

HTH,

73, de Nate >>