[TowerTalk] Hy Tower

N7mal n7mal at citlink.net
Tue Dec 22 15:40:56 PST 2009

I've been playing with verticals, mostly for 160/80/40, for almost 50 years.
The one constant in all that time is the widely varying opinions.
Jim said:"" Recently published work by N6LF, and much older work in the ARRL
Antenna
Book differ strongly with that statement ""(the statement being about
resonant radials)
There are just as many, if not more, that support my statement. I've
actually gotten my hands dirty testing both types of systems. I've found, in
real world tests, that totally resonant systems perform better than
non-resonant. I don't believe in, or even use, computer modeling like NEC,
etc. I've built vertical antenna systems as a W9 in Illinois, a W6 in
California, and several systems the last 15 years here as a W7 in Arizona.
The totally resonant systems, from my observations,  have a slightly wider
bandwidth and from all indications a slightly lower angle of radiation. I
only use the verticals for DXing with stations outside North America. I have
wire antennas for working the high angle propagation for working North
American stations.

All that being said right now, on 80m, I'm using a non-resonant system. I'm
not using radial wires, basically I'm using a rectangular screen. There's
less bandwidth but much better performance especially to Europe on 75m SSB.

73

MAL
N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ