[TowerTalk] Soldering Iron

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Mon Feb 2 17:34:22 EST 2009

On 2/2/2009 Rob Atkinson wrote:

> A gun no matter how high watt isn't any good because the tip doesn't
> have the metal mass needed for soldering a uhf male outside.   You'll
> never find the big irons at Lowe's or Home Depot.  Berland's House of
> Tools has the high watt irons you need, made by Wahl with large
> massive tips.

Another wonderful tool that I USED to have access to that makes soldering UHF or other BIG connectors simple - see if you can get yourself a nice resistance soldering rig (or one can be made from a filament transformer) - take the carbon electrode tweezers, clamp around the body, hit the foot peddle, and the connector is up to temp in maybe 2-5 seconds

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

Anybody who cannot comprehend mathematics is not fully human.
 At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wash, cook food, and not make messes on the couch.
 --R.A.H.