[TowerTalk] Old safety belt

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Feb 3 00:05:36 EST 2009

K7LXC at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/2/2009 9:02:22 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:
>

>>  I was climbing yesterday and it occurred to me that I was  using quite an
>>
> old
> belt. Its a W2ONV belt which I think was  purchased in the seventies. It
> still looks like new but its not. Any  comments from the list on wheather
> this
> belt is still safe ? The  belt is a waist belt with the one lanyard. Oh, just
>
> found the date,  its 3-81, model is 246.
>

>     Well, as long as it and the lanyard are not  leather and they don't have

I have two set ups. One a Kline Free floating belt is made of leather,
BUT the working parts are Neoprene impregnated nylon and at 40 years
it's still strong. Of course it has to pass an inspection, but it's
still passing, or did about 6 years ago so it's past time.  Typically I
use this only when working close to the ground and more interested in
convenience and freedom.  Normally I use a full body harness with two
fall arrest lanyards off a single pack.

One thing I'd like to see them do is something other than carabiners
(which require a pull and twist to open) on the fall arrest lanyards or
at least on the tag lines.. I much prefer the squeeze  (on both sides)
to release hooks on the Kline system.  They are much easier to use with
one hand, but can not be released by leaning against them.
> any obvious damage, then they're probably  fine but a 27 year old piece of
> safety equipment might be worth replacing.

If it's certified which I doubt the W2ONV was, you can have them
checked.  OTOH that doesn't come for free.
Depending on the job and environment a lot of climbing gear gets pitched
at the end of it's useful life. Never, ever use this stuff. They throw
it away for a reason.

However the less expensive equipment is not worth the cost of
recertifying even if it is capable of such.  Often t he cost is so close
or even less that replacing it just makes sense.

As I used to work in areas with relatively high concentrations of HCL
and "other good stuff" we used Nylon gear and disposed of it yearly.  As
I'm...OK... was only 5'7" and 140# * back* *then* they didn't have any
equipment that fit me properly. I finally gave up trying to convince the
bosses that improperly fitting equipment was dangerous.  So the next day
I brought in my own which was better than theirs (as well as more
expensive)  Two days later I was presented with my own belt and harness.
<:-))    Technically what I did was against the rules, but I wasn't at
all worried about being fired.  Had the State and Feds taken one look at
what they were having me wear, what my own equipment consisted of, and
their reluctance to provide me with the proper gear my fortune would
have been made and the company would have been in deep doggie do because
of the actions of a few bosses that were contrary to company policy.
> Almost everyone nowadays has abandoned safety  belts for fall arrest
> harnesses (FAH) that'll catch you much safer than a  safety belt will.

I would add that non climbers or the occasional climber still should use
good gear, but be aware of the harnesses that let you set down.  Some of
them are likely to reduce circulation in your legs and the temptation is
to take the most comfortable position when working "up there". Should
you sit too long and then stand up, about the time all that "old blood"
that had pooled in your legs makes it to your lungs it's not uncommon to
get very light headed. Some even pass out. Like long trips in an
airplane, it's not good to stay in one position for long, particularly
when a band it squeezing the circulation off in each leg.  It's a great
way to pass out or even worse, develop clots in the legs.  Although
rare, this has been a serious safety issue with climbers.  Having been
out of climbing except my own towers I've lost track of how OSHA views
this at present.

Casual and non climbers going up towers scare me. I've mentioned before
that one of the most time consuming and hard work jobs I ever had was to
get a fairly young guy down off a tower and he wasn't all that far up.
The previous week I'd been working on the repeater antenna using my
harness for support while standing on the tower which put my body
horizontal. That put me into position with my face directly under the
base of the side mounted antenna and made the job much easier.  It was a
nice calm day and I remember hearing a conversation from below where
some one make the remark "I gotta go home, I can't watch this". Had I
slipped it would have hurt, but I was well secured to the tower complete
with safety gear.  I think it was about one or two weeks later some one
got the idea if the "old guy" could do that they could certainly just go
up and secure coax.  That was until they looked down. (I wish he'd have
looked sooner <G>) I wouldn't have had to do so much work to get him down.

I view it this way.  If a ham is not a climber, don't start! Or if you
must, get some training and good gear.
If you are a casual climber, make sure you have good gear, AND
*exercise* enough to be in good shape.  Plan on being in good enough
shape to spend between 4 to 8 hours up there. You may not plan on
staying up there any where near that, but if in good enough shape to do
that, then a couple of hours should be fine. Typically the most
dangerous part is staying up too long and becoming fatigued to the point
of having problems climbing down. This can be a dangerous problem even
on 50 or 60' towers let alone the taller ones.  It's much like shoveling
snow.  Most of us seldom do it so we over do the first couple of times.

73

Roger (K8RI)