[TowerTalk] Old Safety Belt

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Tue Feb 3 08:03:53 EST 2009

>In the climbing game, any harness older than 5 years old is automatically
thrown away whether it has been used or not.

"In the climbing game".....  We're not really in the 'climbing game', Ken.
We are occasional, fair-weather climbers, who at worst (or best), spend only
a couple of hours on the tower then go for months without lifting both feet
off the ground.

If I climbed on a regular basis, 2-3-4-5 times a week, in all kinds of
weather and my harness experienced 'normal wear and tear' of climbing and
being thrown into a bag, trunk or pickup bed with other hardware and
equipment, then 5 years might be a good lifetime for such a harness.

But, for the general ham who climbs only a couple of times a year and whose
harness can generally be found hanging in a closet inside the house,
wouldn't the lifetime be somewhat extended?

Just curious...

Dale, kg5u