[TowerTalk] Off-Brand Connectors and Adapters

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Feb 5 19:38:57 EST 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:11:29 -0600, Jim Walker wrote:

>Others may have had success using the less expensive brands.

Off-brand adapters of all sorts -- elbows, tees, barrels, N to UHF,
and so on, have caused me LOTS of grief, and they have sometimes
cost me lots of MONEY. Off brand connectors are also a huge problem.
Many of them use dielectric material that melts and deforms, even
with a good temperature controlled iron. Some of them, especially
cheap DIN connectors use contact material that won't accept solder.

When you buy cheap connectors and adapters you are buying TROUBLE!
They aren't even real connectors -- they are imitations. Buy the
real thing. Even if the real thing costs 5X the price, it's often
worth 100X the price.

I am disgusted by ham vendors (including RF Connection) who sell
imitation DIN connectors that I can't solder to!  Real DIN
connectors (Switchcraft, Preh) cost $5-$10.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC