[TowerTalk] 90 Degree Adapters (UG 645/U)

ac9s at mchsi.com ac9s at mchsi.com
Thu Feb 5 21:43:31 EST 2009

As I write this I am looking at a cheap 90 degree adapter that caused me significant pain about a year ago.  In the middle of a QRO contest I noticed the Alpha's output was becoming erratic.  Great, I thought, something is failing in "old reliable".  On a hunch I grabbed the 90 degree adaptor on the input of the antenna tuner and found it too hot to handle - literally, I received a blister on my thumb.  Of course I swapped it out immediately, or as quickly as I could as it cooled - the amp went immediately back to its old smooth, solid output.  The Amphenol 90 degree on the output of the tuner was as cool as a cucumber.

Moral to me - not all connectors, adapters, whatever, are equal.

Keith
AC9S