[TowerTalk] Rotator specs? - Tnx!

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 6 23:21:13 EST 2009

Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> Bill Aycock wrote:
>> That just means pounds of force times inches. ( not pounds of weight, even
>> though down here, there is no practical difference.) Some people have a
>> hobby of picking nits)
>>
> Which when it comes to force in the English system it's slugs and not
> pounds while in the metric system  IIRC it's kilograms
> It's been a long time since I really had to do those problems.

slugs are a *mass* unit, as are kilograms
pounds are a *force* unit, as are newtons

Often, though one will see (for convenience), lbm (pound mass.. that
mass which exerts a force of 1 pound in normal gravity.. that is: 1/32.2
slug). That is, it *weighs* 1 pound.

You'll also see kgf, which is 9.8 N  (because F=mg, and g is 9.8 m/sec^2)

And, you'll see lbf, which is redundant, but serves to reinforce that
you're talking forces/weight, not masses.

This gets into that whole thing of whether you weigh yourself or measure
your mass.