[TowerTalk] Belden 9913 concerns

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Sat Feb 7 10:46:08 EST 2009

Use conduit that has drainage holes and install it in a bed of gravel, you
can wrap the conduit in landscape material to keep dirt out if you need to.
I am fairly sure the stuff I bought had holes on one side.  The black
drainage tubing has tiny slits all around as it is designed to collect water
in that area and move it away.

You did not mention the length of runs or what bands you were running so it
is pretty tough to suggest an alternative coax.

I assume the ends of the 9913 were sealed.  I can't imagine that too much
moisture could have entered into the coax.  I am fairly sure that they no
longer use the air dielectric with the small wrap of plastic around the
center conductor.  I believe the new stuff has a more solid dielectric which
was much better.  The horror stories I recall were on the old stuff.  I
can't say I recall hearing any lately.

If you are concerned, I would sell it and look for a direct burial grade
cable.  LMR600 or similar or go to a hardline or heliax cable if you need
very low loss coax. They will be much more expensive.

Good luck with your project.

never get over." Ben Franklin