[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch info wanted

Jim Hargrave w5ifp at gvtc.com
Sat Feb 7 12:35:06 EST 2009

Hi Brad,

I have used a prop pitch drive motor for about 30 years and it is still
going strong. There were several models available surplus and it depends on
which one you have. There is also a mod to some models that increases the
speed by locking some of the gears.

I use a light weight automobile chassis lithium grease in mine. I installed
a grease zerk on the side of the gear box and squirt a little in it every
few years. The grease will help stop the leakage between the gear box and
the motor shaft when mounted in the upright position.

I run mine with a 24volt battery charger transformer with a variac to adjust
the speed. It requires around 10 amps under full load. The grease makes it
slow starting in cold WX, So I have to increase the voltage slightly to make
sure it starts ok. A variable pulse width DC power supply would work nicely
in this application. Mine works equally well on a 12vdc or 24vdc power
supply. Most have recommended to use DC, however mine has been in service
many years running on AC.

I mounted mine near the bottom of the tower and it rotates a TH6DXX @ 50ft.
and a 14 element 2m beam at 60 ft.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *