[TowerTalk] Antennas and Property Value responsa

Michael Ryan mryan001 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 9 17:24:11 EST 2009

Hi Mike,

**Appraising a property that he was also involved with on the selling or
buying side would certainly be on a slippery slope if for some reason
something bad happened.  **

 This is true...  Like I said it would be better to avoid this, but at the
very least an appraiser /  realtor should DISCLOSE that they have a vested
interest.   Once this is done, I doubt whether many participants would be
comfortable with it, but it has and can happen.

 Your antennas are PERSONAL PROPERTY, even though they are attached to some
extent.  The difference between personal property or a fixture/chattel is
defined as it's INTENDED USE and METHOD OF ATTACHMENT. Swimming pools or hot
water heater are attached permanently and would not be personal property. A
hot tub could be considered personal property because it could be detached
and taken away ( depending on the METHOD OF ATTACHEMENT ), and is usually
considered personal property.  In only rare instances have I given any value
to a hot tob.  But the long and the short of is that antennas and towers
should have no effect on value. Most anyone involved in a real estate sale
transaction or sale if you will, would simply ASK, are these STAYING or
GOING. In an appraisal situation, the fact that the antennas are present the
day of the appraisal inspection, which is the normally the date of the value
OPINION, typically would not effect the value and therefore no value is
attributed or deducted due to their presence. If someone has cut a hole in
the roof and is running some Rohn 25 through there well, that's another
story. (.. by the way I am a State Certified Residential Appraiser and a
realtor/sales associated ...short for REAL ESTATE AGENT, a term not used too
much in Florida anymore).
Sorry to be off topic of the reflector.  High power tension lines anyone ?
-Mike