[TowerTalk] tower resonances

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Feb 13 10:06:55 EST 2009

jimlux wrote:

> Most of the matrices I've done from actual measurements (by me, or
> gleaned from others) have been asymmetric to a certain extent (that is,
> Z23 != Z32), but it's mostly due to measurement and arithmetic problems.
>
> That is, if you have a 3 element array, you'd expect a matrix like
> Z11 Z12 Z13
> Z21 Z22 Z23
> Z31 Z32 Z33
> where Z21=Z12, Z13=Z31, Z32=Z23
>
> But you don't get that.

The true z-matrix will always be symmetric if the network is reciprocal.
All passive networks (not containing ferrite circulators) are
reciprocal.  Therefore, matrix symmetry will not tell you
anything about whether a tower is radiating.  It is, however, a check on
the accuracy of the measurements.

Rick N6RK