[TowerTalk] tower resonances

Tom Osborne w7why at verizon.net
Fri Feb 13 12:54:07 EST 2009

Hi John

I have kind of an unusual idea for you to try.

Why not forget all you have read and just put it up and try it out?

It seems to me that some people put up antennas without ever modeling them
and they work quite well.  In fact, for the NA Sprint contest last weekend,
I needed an antenna for close in work on 40 meters.

I couldn't model it to see how high to put it, how far to put it from my
tower--was my 160 meter inverted L going to bother it, etc.  It is in a
bunch of trees, so what is that gonna do?  I did something different, I just
put it up in a tree.

Tuned it up and the first 2 Q's were with a YV5 and a ZS6, so I figured,
guess it must work.  Although beings the first stations worked were DX, I
figured it might not be optimum for close in work.  But what the heck, the
sprint started and I used it anyway.  Was pleasantly surprised to find I
could work NA stations with no problems.

But now I'm wondering, how is it going to affect my other antennas???
Always something to worry about!

So, don't give up.  Just put it up and see if it works.  If I can figure it
out, you probably can too. 73
Tom W7WHY