[TowerTalk] KT34A problem

Gary Slagel gdslagel at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 18:12:00 EST 2009

Hi all,

I'd appreciate a little more tech help if anyone can give it!

I just got a KT34A up on my tower.  I had tested it on the ground, sitting on top of a couple sawhorses, and SWR seemed fine on all 3 bands according to my mfj antenna analyzer.  Got it up on the tower and I can't get even the slightest dip in SWR from 7mhz to 40mhz... let alone on 14.025, 21.050 and 28.050 where I expect it!  I've looked at connections and all looks well except I'm a little suspicious of the connection between the matching section and the driven element.  The aluminum strap which tightens around the matching section and driven element seems loose.  This is a new/used antenna so I'm not sure if that was the case when it was new.

I've put a different coax on it to make sure the coax isn't the problem.  Checked the antenna analyzer on another antenna and all seems well there.  Tried continuity testing between the coax and different elements and basically, there was continuity everywhere... coax braid to both elements, etc.... I suppose I was seeing that because the balun was still in line?

My best idea is to take the balun off the antenna and then do some more continuity testing.  I'm also wondering if the old balun (15 years) didn't make it through the trip from the ground to the tower.  Of course, the next step after that will be to take the antenna back off the tower... ugh!!!

Any advice on what to look at?  Thanks for any input.

Gary Slagel/N0SXX
Hot Springs, SD
http://marina.fortunecity.com/sanpedro/351