[TowerTalk] KT34A problem found I think

Gary Slagel gdslagel at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 20:26:58 EST 2009

Thanks to all and especially Gene/k5gs and Don/n8de for your thoughts.  Crawled up there again this afternoon... pulled the balun out of the circuit and did some continuity checks and all looked well... then attached the antenna analyzer directly to the feed to see if it would 'act like an antenna' and sure enough I saw resonance at the appropriate spots... not like it would have been with a good 4:1 balun but good enuff to see that it worked.  So... pulled the balun off the beam and brought it inside... rigged a little dipole to test again and same results... also, the balun had a rattle to it so I'm guessing something got jarred loose on the trip up to the top of the tower.

Just spent the $129 ordering another and will report back when its on the boom and all is well.

73/Thanks again!

Gary Slagel/N0SXX
Hot Springs, SD
http://marina.fortunecity.com/sanpedro/351