[TowerTalk] 120' 160m vertical

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Wed Feb 18 19:53:22 EST 2009

I would expect that 120 of Rohn 45 with a three element 40 meter Yagi on
top to be resonant somewhere around 1.6 MHz.  Since it is so tall, if
you match it with a series cap, the feedpoint impedance will probably be
too high, maybe about 80 ohms.  I suspect that you will need a two
element matching network.

Also if that 80 meter four square is made from bent vertical dipoles
with the feedlines going over to the tower, you will need to add some
good chokes on the feedlines to keep the dipoles from loading the tower
and moving the resonant frequency even lower.

I would recommend modeling this to make sure the tower isn't going to
mess up the four square.  You do have a lot of freedom in changing the
tower's resonant frequency since it is floating, but a model would alert
you as to what to expect. I think this should work well if done correctly.

Jerry, K4SAV