[TowerTalk] Comparison of W6NL Moxon to the wire Moxon

John King k5pgw at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 19:48:45 EST 2009

I suspect that this topic has been beaten to death on this list, but I would like to hear from those who have experience with the "classic" Moxon made of either wire or a combination of wire and aluminum. I have read Mr. Cebik's papers on the theory and design of each type. I interpret his papers to be "what if" a Moxon was constructed with certain materials. The "proof is in the pudding", meaning that you really don't know how the recipe turns out until you put the components together.

I have a supply of aluminum tubing and want to construct a 2 element  rotary for 4o meters and the Moxon seems to be better than a "plain" Yagi.

Since I don't have the knowledge, software or skill to model one, I am at a loss as how to move forward. What makes the W6NL design better and how much better is it? What performances characteristics make the W6NL design better.

Thanks for your input. 73, John, K5PGW