[TowerTalk] PHOTO LINK: Desired play (gap) between steel tubeleg and sleeve

Bill Aycock baycock at hughes.net
Wed Feb 25 12:13:01 EST 2009

Crazy- since this is NOT Rohn, and has several differences from it, you have
several potential alignment problems.  Besides the leg-to-sleeve diameter
problem you have concentrated on, there are  potential problems with angular
alignment, and, maybe the worst- the leg-to-leg spacing, which implies that
there is only one out of three possible ways it can assemble at each joint.
You need to check the other possibilities also, and, as a general rule, it
is never a good idea to do any metal cutting to facilitate assembly.  A
taper pin punch should be all that is needed.
Another difference from Rohn that I note is that the two bolts appear to be
the same size; Rohn uses two sizes at each joint.

Good luck- Bill-W4BSG