[TowerTalk] Mast material

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 20:53:18 PST 2009

k2vi wrote:
> Hey guys, can someone please advise me on the mast to use, I was
> looking at 2" EMT pipe I saw in the electrical dept at home depot.
> Keep in mind this pipe will be supporting a hy-gain 203BA which has a
> 16' boom and weighs 32# also it will be pushed up from the thrust
> bearing about 6'. Im sure it will be fine here in va beach. Right now
> im using a galvinized 2" shedule 40 pipe that weighs a ton.

EMT is pretty thin wall, and structurally not all that hot. After all,
it's really only designed to protect wires from abrasion. For instance,
you can't use it to support an electrical box holding a duplex
receptacle sticking out of the ground.

I've built structures from EMT (like a big geodesic ball), and it tends
to split along the weld, for instance.