[TowerTalk] Power poles as antenna supports

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Fri Feb 27 11:40:14 PST 2009

I agree that the two books would be nice to have (if you don't?) but I doubt
if they will be of much help in your case.  There are just too many
variables.  I suggest getting an antenna modeling program and even then it
will take many, many model length and frequency variations. Also be sure to
obtain a modeling program that will allow enough segments to cover your 1
1/2 mile length.

For example: EZNEC reports that your antenna would have a gain of about 8
dbi on 160 at an elevation angle around 12 degrees.  Very good but the
azimuth beamwidth is also about 12 degrees and the gain falls off
drastically in other directions both in azimuth and elevation.

At 14 mhz, EZNEC reports a gain of about 18 dbi(!) at an elevation angle of
around 5 degrees.  However the 3 db azimuth beamwidth is 6 degrees and the
gain falls off at least 10 dbi beyond that.

It would seem fun to model but also fun to get on the air with it end fed.

k7puc