[TowerTalk] Cutting aluminum

Craig D. Smith craig at powersmith.net
Sat Feb 28 12:56:49 PST 2009

For my antenna projects and other ham puttering I have a semi-frequent need
to cut aluminum stock as well as PCB material, occasional brass, etc.  I'm
not talking anything really heavy duty - 1/4 inch thick at the max and 90%
of the time 1/8 inch or less and no steel.  And nothing really big - 12 inch
wide would be about the max.  i.e. - fabricating front panels for electronic
equipment, various bits and pieces for antennas, etc.  I'm getting by for
now with hacksaw and saber saw.  But it would be nice to have something
bench mounted with a fence that would give me straight edges and minimize
the need for filing and other finishing.

I'm restricted on space, so don't want/need anything really big or powerful.
Thinking in terms of 2 ft square or less benchtop space.  So what are your
suggestions?  Small bandsaw?  Any other ideas?  What do you use?

Also, what type of blade is recommended and what kind of blade life should I
expect?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions
Craig  AC0DS