[TowerTalk] Cutting aluminum

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Feb 28 14:40:43 PST 2009

Craig D. Smith wrote:
> For my antenna projects and other ham puttering I have a semi-frequent
> need
> to cut aluminum stock as well as PCB material, occasional brass, etc.  I'm
>for filing and other finishing.
>
> I'm restricted on space, so don't want/need anything really big or
> powerful.
> Thinking in terms of 2 ft square or less benchtop space.  So what are your
> suggestions?  Small bandsaw?  Any other ideas?  What do you use?
>
> Also, what type of blade is recommended and what kind of blade life should
> expect?
> Craig  AC0DS

I bought an inexpensive miter saw from Harbor Freight and
equipped it with a non-ferrous metal cutting carbide blade from McMaster
Carr.  The local stores only had ferrous blades.  I also ordered
a bar of cutting wax for the blade.  Don't try to cut dry.
I have made hundreds of cuts in irrigation tubing and the blade
is still as good as new.  The miter saw doesn't take up much
space.

Rick N6RK