[TowerTalk] tramming antennas

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Jul 9 09:11:35 PDT 2009

In a message dated 7/9/2009 6:35:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I'm getting ready to tram up a M2  6M-7JHV to 77 feet  on a guyed Rohn
45
tower. I have never trammed one up but have seen many  pictures of it being
done. Have a few questions,I know this is a smaller  lighter antenna which
is
why I want to try with this one first before I do  my M2 75/80 meter
rotatable dipole late this year or early next  year.
1. How far apart should the 2 support lines be?

    First, you're not tramming up anything. A tram  is a single cable with
the load slung under the tramline via a pulley.  What you're describing is a
TROLLEY system where the load rides on top of 2  lines ala' a trolley car.

    It is a far inferior technique than the tram. The  2 lines are
difficult (impossible?) to equalize, you have to have some kludge  up on the tower
to secure the lines to, the antenna is probably out of balance  and you've
got lots of friction as the antenna rides up the line. You have  NONE of those
problems with a tramline.

    Let me know if you're interested and I'll send  you the chapter from my
upcoming tower book that includes tramming. Anyone  else that's also
interested, let me know and I'll send it to you as well.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams