[TowerTalk] scariest repairs

jim Jarvis jimjarvis at optonline.net
Fri Jul 17 10:09:57 PDT 2009

Tall buildings aren't guyed structures, Bill.   I wouldn't expect to
see 1"/100' deflection
in a guyed tower, unless the guys weren't properly tensioned.   To
follow your rule,
you'd see 20"-40" side-sway at the top of that tower.   I don't think
so.

I've been on self-supporters-- you can feel the Tour Eiffel sway in
the wind, slightly.
The highest I've climbed on a guyed tower was 190', and it was as
solid as a rock,
even with 30kt winds gusting.

Having said that, I would imagine that you could measure some lateral
deflection in
the top of the 2000' tower, with wind gusts.   But I doubt it's
enough to actually feel.

N2EA

That what the "Engineer" said not the tech who does the work :)  the
spec
from rohn is about 1-2 inches of movement (if I recall correctly) for
each
100ft at the top.  Even tall buildings move with the wind.   I am
sure you
can feel movement at the top of that 2000ft tower.

73 Bill N1HWC