[TowerTalk] World's toughest fixes - 2000' tower

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 11:59:26 PDT 2009

> IIRC, the Empire State Building is spec'ed to sway in high winds. The
exact
> numbers elude me.

I think that's the case for all tall buildings, and must require some
interesting engineering for various parts to flex properly in response. I
vaguely remember hearing a long time ago about a new skyscraper (can't
recall where) on which the window mountings hadn't been specified correctly.
When the building swayed, panes would occasionally loosen and fall out. Of
course, they did a quick fix. Must have been very expensive because there
are a lot of windows in a tall skyscraper.

73, Dick WC1M