[TowerTalk] 30m AC Power Transfer Antennas

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Jul 25 18:21:34 PDT 2009

Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:
>> In the case where they are inductively coupled there is very little
>> radiation, but if they even charge more than a couple inches away it's
>> going to take a substantial signal and it certainly wouldn't be green.
>>

> Mostly I think they use a pair of coupled mag-loops.
> They can be a couple loop diameters apart and still achieve 50-70%
> efficiency.

My headsets use a pair of matching "pancake" coils of 8 to 10 turns
(give or take).
I've never traced it out, but there is very little to the circuit. It
does shut off when the battery is charged.
The headset remains off, until you place it on your head which pulls the
support band tight and then it turns on.  It appears that it takes a bit
for the transmitter in the holder to turn on.  IOW the green transmit
light doesn't come on as soon as you place the head set on your head.
> You can model the effect in EZNEC.  Build a couple identical resonant
> magloops, put a resistive load in one and a source  in the other.
>
> Compare the radiated power (average gain test) to the "load loss," which of
> course, in the case of resonant wireless power transfer is the whole useful
> bit ...
>
> http://n3ox.net/files/eznec/wireless_power.ez
>
> It's kind of a neat effect.  Just near field coupling that you could build
> at home at the basic level.  I assume that the actual devices will be fairly
> sophisticated... measuring impedance of the primary circuit with very low
> power levels and then cranking it up when a load is detected (look at the
> source impedance in EZNEC with and without a load.... almost purely
> inductive without, very resistive with... that's part of the key to the
> method).
>
> Of course, if you tightly couple them (fraction of a loop diameter) you can
> get essentially 100% efficiency.  This isn't actually true for a pair of
> single wire loops stacked right on top of each other without resonating
> them.  If you try to build a non-resonant transformer that way (that is,
> without a core) it doesn't work very well. Too much leakage.

I would think, if the pancake coils are resonant and at a high enough
frequency they would work very much like a transformer without needing
an iron core to increase flux density.

73

Roger (K8RI)