[TowerTalk] Gem Quad Back in Production

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 25 19:57:21 PDT 2009

>Anyone have any experience with the Gem Quad design and its durability?

I used a 3L with it's boom at 58' for roughly 6 1/2 years at a previous QTH.

First, the durability ... never lost a spreader or a corner insulator, worked well.
BTW, one of the 'secrets' is the interconnecting of each element with thin rods.

Design ... the tuning stubs for me were NOT a practical solution, I went with
preset lengths <translation: "best guess at the time"> and well, it 'worked'.

Good F/B on 20m and 10m ... not so much on 15m. Be a good project for
someone to go back and revisit with today's modeling software for solutions?

Biggest problem I fought was the mounting point of the loops to the individual
feedlines breaking due to flexing in the wind ... that was a pain to repair at first.

Final arrangement used a support tube/spreader and individual gamma matches
per band. That setup reduced the frequency of repairs by a large margin for me.

Even the largest model is still very light as to tower loading and rotor needs.

I still have the 3L and also a 2L stored away for another day perhaps ... or ...

73 de Billy, AA4NU