[TowerTalk] Hot Dip Galvanizing

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Jul 27 02:15:12 PDT 2009

Michael Ryan wrote:
> A 48ft ROHN BX tower was taken to an electroplating business near
> Fredricksburg, VA a number of years ago. A friend of mine who lived in
> Fairfax, Va wanted the tower sections put in the acid bath before the
> galvanizing process to remove the rust, etc.  After the sections were
> supposedly tanked, they did fall apart as they rivets fell apart.  He had
> the sections galvanized and later re-assembled them with nuts and bolts.  It
> was a bit tedious but appeared to work fine and may still be up now.  This
> was 10-12 years ago. Good luck...  - Mike

So, why not just re-rivet the sections.  Get a Sack of the proper size
(round head) aircraft  rivets, a hammer, and bucking bar.  A pneumatic
tool is faster but not as easy to control for the novice as the hammer
and it can be done alone as the hammer and bucking bar is a two man job.
The rivets are soft so they are easy to install.    More than likely the
way the HBX goes together you could do the riveting with a "squeeze"
tool that looks much like one of the tools used to put on the
compression F connectors, but fits the rivets.  Check "Aircraft Spruce"
as they sell on line. Or if you like airplanes you could go over to
Oshkosh Wisconsin this week to the world's largest fly-in where the
airport becomes the busiest in the world with twice the daily movements
at Ohare and it does them all between 7 AM and 7 or 8 PM (gates open at
8:00 AM) I've seen as many as 75 planes on final (I have the photo) at
one time.  You'll probably see as many as 10,000 or more planes parked
on the field including an Airbus 380 http://www.eaa.org/

If I get my plane (N833R
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/833R/833R_frame.htm ) back from the annual
and my flight review out of the way I may go over either Saturday or
Sunday.  If there's any place with more toys than Dayton this is it.
<:-)) A few years back the Concord was there giving rides ...for $750
each and it was full for every flight. On the 50th anniversary of D-Day
we had the largest formation of WWII planes in formation since WWII.

BTW The fly-in runs from Monday (Today) through next Monday.

73

Roger(K8RI)